DreamHost Multifactor Authentication
DreamHost as always comes up with new features for their customers. This time we are going to take about a security feature which DreamHost has recently introduced.
Making your web site and web data secure is one of the main concerns for any web hosting company. For the hosting company like DreamHost which is very famous web host, the job of securing data becomes even more difficult.
Many times it’s been observed that server is hacked not because of the mistake of DreamHost but it’s hacked because of the mistake of customer. As the technology become advance, hackers also become advance and they find out many different ways to hack your DreamHost panel password. If your DreamHost panel password is hacked then nobody can help you. Not even a DreamHost.
To make DreamHost panel login more secure, DreamHost has introduced multifactor authentication.
Multifactor authentication is a two steps authentication process. In the first step, you are asked to enter your WebID and password and in the second step, you are asked to enter secure code which keeps changing every time you login.
Different companies use different ways for generating secure code for multifactor authentication. Some companies use SMS facility to send you secure code on your mobile. Since only you can have your mobile, it’s become very difficult for hackers to get the secure code.
DreamHost is using Google Authenticator for generating secure code. You can install google authenticator on android devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and BlackBerry devices. So if you don’t have any of these devices then you can’t use DreamHost multifactor authentication.
How to Enable Multifactor Authentication?
Enabling multifactor authentication on DreamHost account is very easy. Since I have an android phone, I am going to show you the process for android device. Follow these simple steps and you will have DreamHost multifactor authentication enabled on your account.
1) Login to DreamHost panel using your WebID and password.
2) Click on Billing & Account section from the left navigation bar. Select Security option under Billing & Account section.
3) Here you will find the Multifactor authentication option. You will see the status there. If it’s not enabled then you will get the message saying that multifactor authentication is disabled.
4) Enter your current login password. Select the authentication type. There are two types of Google authenticator. One is time based and another is counter based. Time based authenticator is recommended and easy to use. Select the time based authentication and click on Get Started button.
5) You will see the screen like following.
6) Now you need to use Google Authenticator app in your mobile. Download Google authenticator from Google play.
7) Open the Google authenticator. If you are using Google authenticator for Gmail or any other account then you should already have account added. Just click on option key from your phone and select Add Account.
8) You can scan bar code given in one of the previous images. You will need any QR code scanner app on your mobile to use scan option. You can also add the account manually where you need to enter the account name and key which you got from the DreamHost panel account.
9) Now you will get 6 digit passcode in your mobile app. You need to enter that passcode in your web panel and click on Activate button.
Now you have successfully activated DreamHost multifactor authentication. You will need your mobile phone every time to get the multifactor authentication code at the time of login.
What Happens if You Lose Your Mobile Phones?
You might be wondering that what happens if you can’t access your phone or can’t get secret passcode. Can you still login?
Yes, but you will need to reset your DreamHost panel password. Click on “Forgot password” link on DreamHost panel login page. You will get one link for resetting your password in your email. Reset your password and DreamHost will disable multifactor authentication for your account after the successful password change.
Now you can login with your new password and you won’t need a secret passcode for login.
If you are really serious about the security of your web site then you should enable multifactor authentication. I have enabled DreamHost multifactor authentication. Have you?
Go To DreamHost How To
Go To Home